Health insurance coverage is coming to a close on December 31st, 2014 and your patients will very likely have questions about their health insurance needs for 2015.
Healthcare professionals need to understand the choices that patients will need to make and the deadlines by which they need to make them, as well as and where to point patients so they can get help.
If your patients are currently enrolled in health insurance, they still have choices to make by December 15th of 2014.
- If they are eligible for auto-renewal and have reviewed and want to be enrolled in the 2015 version of the plan and have no household changes, no action is required.
- If they need or want to make changes to household or plan selection for 2015 or are not eligible for auto enrollment, they need to log into accesshealthct.com and make changes and/or select a 2015 plan and carrier. This must be done before Dec. 15th for Jan.1 coverage. A plan must be selected by February. 15th, 2015.
- Patients can go online to enroll at accesshealthct.com, or visit an enrollment center, they can call 855-375-2428 or they can get assistance from brokers or certified application counselors by going to the “get help” tab on the Access Health CT site.
If patients don’t enroll by Feb. 15th, the 2015 tax penalty is the larger of $325/household member or 2% of your household income (modified adjusted gross income).
In order to enroll for the 1st time, patients will need the following for every member of the family who needs coverage:
- Birth dates
- Social security numbers
- Citizenship or immigration status and certificate of naturalization (if applicable)
- Federal income tax returns from the most recent year
- Employer and income information (pay stubs, W-2 forms)
- Health care coverage information (policy numbers)
This year, patients will have the choice of four health care coverage providers – Anthem, Connecticare, Healthy CT and United Healthcare or patients may qualify for Medicare or Medicaid.